TJ Tells All Ep. 4 – It is 2016….what the what?!
On Wednesday January 6th, 2016 Tara Johnson, @TJWagginherTail, was back for a brand new “TJ Tells All” session on Periscope. This week, to start the year off fresh, Tara decided to dedicate this discussion of#TJtellsAll to the new year instead of doing her normal weekly product review. This conversation was all about making and breaking those notorious new year’s resolutions, and some solid words of advice from TJ herself.
Watch the replay of the Periscope session below and read on to get a full recap of Tara’s advice to everyone in 2016:
Top 10 New Year’s Resolutions
With the start of every year, many people decide to resolve things that they would like to improve in their lives. Do you know the top resolutions people make every year? Here’s a list of the top 10 areas we typically aim to resolve in the new year:
- Lose weight
- Get organized
- Spend less/ save more
- Enjoy life to the fullest
- Stay fit and healthy
- Learn something exciting
- Quit smoking
- Help others in their dreams
- Fall in love
- Spend more time with family
Every year we talk about making resolutions but how many of us actually stick with those hard-to-attain goals? Here’s a quick statistical breakdown of the amount of time average American’s actually maintain those resolutions:
- 75% of people maintained resolutions throughout the first week of January
- 71% of people maintained resolutions through the first two weeks of January
- 64% of people maintained their resolutions until February
- AND…. only 46% of people maintained their resolutions 6 months into the new year. That means that 54% of people who made resolutions would no longer be maintaining them.
So really, who makes resolutions anymore? Did you make a resolution or resolutions for 2016? What will make you stick to your goals and maintain consistency with these changes you’d like to manifest in your life?
Words of Advice from TJ to You
Without further ado, Tara shares her Top 5 Tips for 2016, her inspirational bits of advice and words of wisdom for your year ahead:
- Words – Words have so much power that we have to be careful which words we decide to use. the word “resolution” really doesn’t hold much power nowadays – instead of calling it a resolution, why not call it something that will put your goal to action? You can create intentions or daily, weekly, monthly or yearly themes to stick with. Choose your words with intent.
- Plan – Often times, taking the time out of your day to write things down and create a physical list of items you want to include in your schedule makes it easier to vision and plan your goals and intentions. Tara says, “there is something about using pen and paper (not an iPhone) that makes the process of writing things down feel satisfying.” Tara mentioned that her sister sticks post-it notes on her mirror in the bathroom that she looks at everyday for daily reminders, quotes and mantras. Beth also mentioned using a whiteboard on yesterdays Blab session.
- Hold Yourself Accountable – When you put your intentions and desires out to the universe, commit to yourself and objectives you’ve set. Sometimes when we hold ourselves accountable for our actions, it’s easier to propel and motivate ourselves to make those goals and improvements.
- Celebrate the Start – So many of us wait until the end or until we have “achieved” something to celebrate. Instead, try celebrating the fact that you’re getting the ball rolling and doing something positive to impact your life! Celebrate each and every moment life gives you so that everything you are working on makes you feel like you’ve already won the race.
- Cut Yourself Some Slack! – This year, why not treat yourself better. Or better yet, treat yourself the way you’d want someone else to treat you! Make some time to go to the gym, schedule a massage for yourself, love yourself a little! But seriously, if you don’t have time to work out today, or when you do eat that cookie, don’t beat yourself up about it! There’s no room for negativity when you’re trying to make changes in your life.
One Final Tip – One Word Manta for 2016
Rather than taking on the pressure of sticking to New Year’s resolutions, Tara closes this Periscope session by discussing a different approach to set goals and intentions for the year. After listening to a few Periscope sessions with Bruce Van Horn, who suggests choosing a one word theme, goal or mantra for the year, Tara chose the theme of “growth” so her intention for the year is to grow professionally, spiritually, and emotionally in her relationships.
Will you choose a theme or mantra for yourself this year? Let us know in the comments below!
Join Tara on Periscope
Got an idea for a product you’d like Tara to try out and review? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter!